Monday, April 15, 2013

The Houmas House Plantation - Part 2

It's hard to believe that this beautiful plantation survived the Civil War with it's precious treasures intact. 
 
They had one whole room designated as a game room.
 
John Burnside was the owner during the Civil War and he had a plan!
 
Whenever troops would arrive at his plantation, Union or Confederate, he would declare diplomatic immunity.
 
He claimed to be a subject of the British Crown - a lie.
 
Nevertheless, he saved the property for future generations to enjoy.
 
Houmas House actually had a twin plantation built by the relative of an earlier owner but it was burned down during the war.
 
However, the Great Depression did take it toll on the property, but in the 1940's a new owner started work to restore Houmas House to it's former glory.
 
The home was opened up for tours, weddings and even movies.
 
Today's owner actually lives in the house and searches all over the world for new treasures to display.
 
He even allows visitors to tour his own bedroom where he has a genuine Tiffany lamp on his desk. 
 
I just couldn't bring myself to take a picture of the lamp with his personal papers laying everywhere.
 
 
We concluded our tour in the kitchen where slaves labored over a hot fireplace.
 
I can only assume that there is a modern kitchen located somewhere in the house since Houmas House is owner occupied.
 
Of course, I'm sure, he could always get takeout from his restaurant located on the property.  I wonder what it's like to have so much money?
 
 
 


3 comments:

  1. I have always loved touring grand old homes and plantations in the south. Your pics made me feel like I was there. One quilt on a bed had the same fabric that I used in a quilt(mine might have been a reproduction though) I made for a grandchild. Thank you so much for sharing!
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful home! I love old plantation houses. Oh if walls could talk, what stories they would tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK -- maybe a little creepy with the preoccupation of clowns in bedrooms...
    But I do love that curved blue wall with 2 Christmas trees!
    Thanks for another fun tour.

    ReplyDelete