Over the weekend Hubby and I took a couple of days to tour Valley Forge. While we were there we stayed at an inn that has been in operation since 1745. It started out as The Admiral Vernon Inne but in 1758 the name was changed to the Admiral Warren after the famed Admiral Peter Warren. He was a hero in defense of the American colony that year at Louisburg, (Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia) during the French and Indian War.
During the revolution, the Inne was owned by John Penn of Philadelphia, loyalist and grandson of William Penn. It quickly became a popular stage stop and a Tory stronghold. It was here that Loyalists met and plotted against the revolutionaries.
In 1786, John Penn sold the property to Casper Fahnestock. During Fahnestock's long ownership the Inne thrived, attracting travelers because of its reputation for clean lodging and excellent food.
In 1825 an effort was made to make amends with the new nation and the Admiral Warren was renamed the General Warren, to honor the American hero of Bunker Hill. During the 1820's it became a relay stop for mail stages and a post office. However, in 1831, the Philadelphia and Columbia Railway opened for travel and in 1834 the last regular stage went through dooming the inn as traffic by-passed it.
In the succeeding years The General Warren Inne changed hands often, occasionally becoming a private residence.
In the mid 1980s the current owners made great strides to return the Inne to it's 18th century elegance and the upper floors were renovated into 8 suites. This is the sitting room in the Franklin Suite - our room for the night.
We had a queen size bed in the bedroom along with a flat screen TV and a fireplace.
Then there were two bathrooms!
One had a jacuzzi tub!
Today, the inn is busy once again with travellers. It's also a popular place for dinner and an beautiful venue for weddings. We highly recommend it!
Next time: our visit to Valley Forge