Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Last Space Shuttle Launch and Lots of Gators!

On Friday, July 8th, we headed out to Titusville to watch NASA's last space shuttle launch.  Fortunately, the kids were visiting at just the right time!

Daughter Dawn was prepared to photograph this historic event.....

along with almost a million other people.

It was a thrill watching the Atlantis lift off from Cape Canaveral.

Dawn was able to get this picture with a stronger lens.  Launch over, we joined the hordes of people trying to leave Titusville.  FIVE hours later we arrived in Orlando.  It's ordinarily a ONE hour drive - but seeing the last shuttle launch was worth it.

The next day we went to see some gators!

Evidently, these "youngsters" are pretty well fed.

This is the way to get rid of a son-in-law in Florida.   I guess we'll keep ours though.

We were having way too much fun!


How'd you like to see these big guys in your backyard?

Our family can never pass up a photo op.

Then, it was time for some alligator wrestling.

The "Gator Whisperer."

Show's over.

You could lose an arm doing that!

They even had albino alligators.

Ol' Blue Eyes.

As we were leaving, I spotted this bird patiently waiting to buy some food.  You never know what you're going to see at Gatorland!

A big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my beautiful daughter Dawn today!!

 

7 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! I kinda like the albino one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you had the chance to see the Shuttle launch. Great photo, too!!! A friend of mine's son drove down from Atlanta to see the launch! He bought a "ticket". I'm not sure where he saw the launch or what his ticket entitled him to, tho. ~ I'd have to skip Gatorland! YIKES!! & BLECH!!! Those things creep me out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for making it a great trip, Mom! And thanks for the birthday... I wouldn't be here without you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting to see the launch! I was at my mom's in FL when one shuttle came in and shook all her windows.
    I've seen an albino gator in FL. An odd site for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ♥ Grandpa & Jacob in the kettle!
    How exciting to catch the final shuttle launch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great experience to see the final shuttle launch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi again! Hope you will please drop by and enter my $50 Overstock.com Gift Card Giveaway!!

    ReplyDelete