Monday, August 15, 2011

Mark Twain's Hannibal

When I was visiting my parents in Hannibal, a couple weeks ago, I took some pictures of this historic town.

My husband and I first visited Hannibal as tourists when our children were young - before my parents owned Robards Mansion.  We wanted to show them where Mark Twain had lived as a child.

A must see is Mark Twain's boyhood home and his father's law office.

Every 4th of July, Hannibal has "Tom Sawyer Days" where they select Tom Sawyer and Becky Thatcher look-a-likes.  Tom Sawyer wanna-be's can also enter into a fence white washing contest.

There's a statue of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn at the base of Cardiff Hill overlooking the Mississippi River.

Here's the bridge across the Mississippi River from Hannibal, Missouri to Quincy, Illinois.

The mighty Mississip'.

This statue of Mark Twain overlooks the Mississippi from Riverview Park.

At one time, Hannibal was a bustling riverport city with many manufacturing and lumber barons making their homes here.  Barges still travel the mile-wide river.

Trollies give guided tours of Hannibal and then bring tourists to Sawyer's Creek outside of town where they can eat, do some more shopping and play.

Mom and I had lunch out here one day and I did a little souvenir shopping.

We spotted the paddlewheeler from the restaurant window.  You can go on cruises during the day or dinner cruises in the evening.  My husband and I did the dinner cruise the last time we were here and had a wonderful time.

We also saw these barges being pushed up river while a train carrying carloads of coal traveled down river.

Across the road from Sawyer's Creek is the Mark Twain Cave where Tom Sawyer and Becky Thatcher got lost.

This is the famous "Lovers Leap" where ill-fated lovers from warring Indian tribes leaped to their deaths when they were kept apart.

A last view of Hannibal from Lover's Leap.

During the turn of the last century there were a lot of millionaires in Hannibal, including one who built Rockcliffe Mansion.  I'd show you pictures of the many times I've toured it but they don't let you take pictures inside the mansion. 

If you're looking for an interesting, and educational trip, historic Hannibal is a great place to visit - or even settle down!  I know of a house/business for sale!  Check out www.robardsmansion.com.  I know the owners and can get you a good deal.

3 comments:

  1. HI Candy! Now this does it! I want to come and visit Missouri so much! I love little historic towns and knowing this is where Mark Twain was born and got so much of his inspiration! You took some beautiful snaps! Thanks for popping in to see me this morning.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog. Nice tour of Hannibal. Amazingly, it still looks like I remember from a trip there in a private plane nearly 30 years ago. We have been wanting to go back with the motorhome, but just have not made it yet.

    Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to have a paddleboat cruise... I'm gonna go watch "Show Boat" right now!

    ReplyDelete