We enjoy getting to know more about our temporary home here in Mississippi, so we spent one Saturday touring some of the museums. When Teddy Roosevelt came to Vicksburg, he visited the Old Court House. So did Jefferson Davis, Booker T. Washington, William McKinley and U.S. Grant - so we figured we ought to visit it too!
It was on these grounds that Confederate President Jefferson Davis launched his political career.
It was also here, on July 4, 1863, that the Confederate Stars and Bars were replaced with the Union Stars and Stripes, signifying the end to the 47-day siege.
Built in 1858, the Court House withstood the bombardment by Union Troops, hit by only one cannonball.
A museum since 1948, it houses thousands of items reflecting the Southern Heritage, including this Bible that was nearly destroyed as it lay open on a table inside a house hit by cannon fire.
There are many exhibits reflecting the southern way of life for the well-to-do citizens of Vicksburg before the war.
The museum doesn't neglect the fashions of the time either.
There are also exhibits on the early days of Vicksburg......................
....................and the many steamships that travelled the Mississippi River.
And, of course, what would a court house be without a court room?
We had an enjoyable day learning about the history of Vicksburg. By the way - Vicksburg did not celebrate the 4th of July with the rest of the nation until after World War II. Feelings run deep in the south!