Friday, April 27, 2012

My Arizona Stuff (Treasures)

When my friend Ceekay moved to a new home, I was reminded that it's really all of our stuff, or what I like to call treasures, that make a house feel like home.  Since we just returned from our home in Arizona I thought I'd show just a few of my treasures.

This is my living room.  On the left is a rocking chair I recovered from my parent's basement at Robards Mansion Bed and Breakfast in Hannibal, Missouri.  We believe it is original to the home from the late 1800's.  The bookcase next to it was purchased by my great-grandmother when she got married in 1900.  The piano was purchased for me, by my husband, as a wedding present when we got married in 1975.

This table in the foyer is also original to Robards Mansion and was literally in pieces when I took it home, refinished it and put it back together.

This trunk, now residing in my family room has been in my mother's family since the 1800's.

My mother says she remembers an Union officer's uniform and sword was inside - but, evidently, some other family member got those treasures.

I'm not sure how old this chair is, but it used to belong to my grandmother so it is special to me. 

My dad grew up with this buffet in his home.  There used to be a matching table but no one knows where it is now.

This tiger oak coffee table was once a library table my grandmother cut down and white-washed.  I stripped off her finish and found the beautiful wood underneath.

We have purchased some of my treasures, like my dining room table.  I found it at an estate sale in Sun City and recovered the chairs.  I love those estate sales!

In fact, most of my teacups were purchased for very little money at estate sales.

Of course, auctions are also a good source for treasures.  I beat out several other bidders for this rocking chair at an auction in Missouri.

These lamp poles were probably my largest (but not most expensive) purchase.  I found them at an auction held at an old movie studio in the Phoenix area, brought them home and painted them.  Hubby had a time getting them set up but they work beautifully lighting up our back yard.

Here in Florida, I've been purchasing some new treasures.  I'm still not sure where I'm going to put this one!

I don't know when I'll have time to blog again.  On Monday, Ceekay is coming for a visit and we have planned all sorts of adventures, starting with a road trip to Fort Myers.  I can't wait!


7 comments:

  1. Love your post! Delightful to visit you.
    Always way enjoyable seeing the interiors of bloggin' buddies homes. You do have some great treasures! That is so neat to be blessed with family items that you get to use in the here and now.

    Popped into your folks B&B via internet. It's lovely! I would like to stay there!

    Estate Sales are great. It's been a very long time since attending one. I will be on the look out for a dining room table with chairs to replace my daughter's big table that we presently use. Putting my order in.

    Have a delightful Spring,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are what I call real treasures. How lucky of you to possess those precious family heirlooms. And how exciting to get Ceekay to visit. I love Fort Myers, the area where my youngest daughter and her family lives. I go there a lot too...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'd say - wonderful treasures! How fantastic to have all the pieces from your family members. Thanks for popping in to see me and have a wonderful weekend.
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie has no idea where that mouth's been!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your treasures!! Those items are what defines a life...it is who you are...your history story. How wonderful that you have all those memories to cherish and "see" each day in your lovely home!!
    Have fun with your friend, Ceekay!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful treasures!!!! I loved seeing them. Thanks!! I am from very poor people and I have no treasures for them except pictures and I do have some paintings my Mother painted in oils that I treasure!!
    Thanks for your visit!! Always good to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Oh what wonderful treasures! Your buffet reminds me of mine-not that they look alike but were probably from the same era. I have the dining room table and six chairs that match. Hubby and I love antiques! Each piece of yours is beautiful. I'm so glad Ceekay is coming for a visit-she is such an incredible gal-but then I bet you are too. I loved visiting the Everglades when we were in Orlando; they were so much more beautiful than I thought they'd be. Hope you have a wonderful time,creating lots of memories with Ceekay.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete